The Powerful Goal Zero Yeti 500X Portable Power Station Might Just Be Life Saving
- PROFESSIONAL-GRADE POWER: Our power station is built to last and field-tested in varied environments, from Arctic locations to job sites to homes. Power a wide range of devices with assorted port options, including 2 USB-A, a USB-C PD, a USB-C, a 6 millimeter, a 12 volt, and two 120-volt AC inverters.
- INDUSTRY-LEADING TECHNOLOGY: Dependable power you can rely on in any situation. Our exceptional 300 Watt AC inverter and 500 Watt Hour generator let you plug in and power anything you can power from a wall outlet. The integrated MPPT charge controller increases charge efficiency by 30% when recharging with a Goal Zero solar panel.
- SAFE & USER-FRIENDLY: We prioritize product safety by using multiple layers of protection, including over- and Undervoltage protection, temperature protections, and a battery management system to monitor individual cell and battery-pack health. The Yeti 500X is backed by a 2-year warranty. All elements of the product, from physical construction to user interface, are designed for ease of use.
- INNOVATORS IN PORTABLE POWER: Goal Zero created the portable power station category 10 years ago, presenting a new way forward in portable energy use at home, on the job, and off-grid. Our products are engineered with precision here in the USA. Power everything from campsites to vital home circuits.
- EMPOWER HUMAN POTENTIAL: We are driven by a vision for success defined by our impact on people and the planet. To date, we’ve reached 31,000+ people around the world with our community empowerment and disaster-relief projects. Our team is based in the Wasatch Front in Salt Lake City, Utah.
When it comes to portable power for use in the outdoors, there is one brand that sticks out in my mind. Sure there are other companies that make decent solar panels and power stations, but Goal Zero Yeti 500Xhas set the standard by which all others are measured.
The company nearly single-handily launched this gear segment more than a decade ago, and while numerous others have followed in their footsteps since then, few have truly been able to match GZ’s blend of outstanding build quality, durability, and features.
Something that is evident once again with the release of the new Yeti 500X portable power station, which is head and shoulders above the competition in pretty much every way possible.
505-watt Lithium-ion Battery Pack
At its core, the Yeti 500X sports a 505-watt lithium-ion battery pack capable of keeping your mobile devices, electronic gear, and other gadgets charged just about anywhere you might happen to go.That is more important now than ever when we rarely leave home without at least one or two battery-operated devices.Whether we’re going on a car camping trip or headed to a remote base camp, we typically bring a smartphone and a tablet or laptop along with us. You might also have a rechargeable headlamp, a camp lighting system, GPS devices, walkie-talkies, camera gear, a drone, and a variety of other devices. Having a way to keep all of that stuff functioning while off the grid could be mission-critical depending on what your goal is.
Plenty of Charging Ports
Thankfully, Goal Zero has given the Yeti 500X plenty of charging ports. The power station comes equipped with a 12-volt carport, a 6mm port, and two AC inviters, which are essentially the same as the wall outlets that you have at home.It also features two standard USB-A (12W max) ports, a standard USB-C port (18W max), and a USB-C PD port (60W max).All told, that means you could potentially charge as many 8 items at once, depending on the gadgets you need to the plugin.
Recharging the Yeti 500X
Recharging the Yeti 500X’s sizable battery takes about 8.5 hours using the included wall charger or roughly 4.5 hours when plugged into a car charger.
Of course, this being a Goal Zero product, it can also be charged using one of the company’s solar panels. Exactly how long that takes is dependent on a lot of variables, such as how much direct sunlight is available, cloud cover and shade, and so on.
Well Built, Well Designed
Compact, well-built, and designed to take a beating, the Yeti 500X lives up to Goal Zero’s reputation of making well-crafted products. An integrated handle makes it easy to lug the power station around, while a durable outer shell keeps its electronic components and battery well protected. The unit is a bit on the heavy side, however, tipping the scales at 12.9 pounds (5.85 kg). That makes the device well suited for use while car camping, attesting festivals, in the backyard, or in a base camp setting. Due to its weight, this is probably not the best option for backpackers, however.